Curriculum Vitae - Vincent Dirks
Welcome to my cv, it's a wiki and I think that's pretty cool. I hope you'll find what you're looking for. Would love your feedback.
|Name||Vincent Izaak Dirks|
|CV||open as pdf|
- 1 Intro - I'm an Agile Software Test Analyst
- 2 Summary Skills Matrix
- 3 Work Experience
- 4 References
- 5 Volunteering
- 6 Continuing Professional Development
- 7 Education
- 8 Presentations
- 9 Blogs & Slides
- 10 What I'm reading...watching...listening
- 11 New things I'm learning and trying out
Intro - I'm an Agile Software Test Analyst
- I love adjusting the test process to match it to the context at hand.
- I like exploratory testing, and I also have fun coding automated checks.
- I gravitate towards Context Driven Testing (CDT), and tend to agree with the thoughts and expressions from the leaders of the CDT community, such as James Bach and Michael Bolton.
- I'm also really enjoying getting to know about Agile and Scrum. I've learnt many of its nuts and bolts, but also love the philosophy that underpins it all. For me, Agile is "Autonomy with Responsibility through Trust".
- I think the true essence of software development is still about people. It is driven by, made by, and made for people; and people have emotions, passions, motivators, and more
- => We're all different, and we all have something unique to give.
|I love to work with people that have a passion for what they do, and have fun doing it! For me, testing is my professional passion, and I love working with people who respect and challenge me to be the best.|
Summary Skills Matrix
- If you're short on time I'm compiling a quick look summary of the skills I've picked up over my career.
|Testing||Context driven testing, Risk based testing, Tool assisted exploratory testing, Test planning, Rapid test execution, Visual modelling, Test plan reviews, Session and thread based testing, Test charters, Test session video capture, Gherkin, Behaviour Driven Development, API's, Large public facing web site testing (Trade Me), Metric driven development, AB Testing(statistical analysis), Mobile Testing, Mentoring & induction, UAT |
(used and refined through 4 years of professional testing at Trade Me and LeasePlan)
|Automation||Trade Me (2yr): SoapUI (as part of Ready!API), Groovy scripting, Tractor (a UI for Protractor), SQL, XPATH & CSS locators |
LeasePlan (2yr): VBA & MS Access to develop automation framework for character based legacy AS400 applications, SQL
|Documentation||Jira (Test plans, reviews, task management, bug tracking), TestRail, Wiki (Confluence, MediaWiki), MS Word, MS Excel, Specifications (writing)|
|Miscellaneous||Agile squad master, CI/CD Continuous Integration/Deployment, Deploy Lead (Trade Me Production Deploys), Product Demonstration, Training(Staff & Distributors), Version control(Mercurial), SQL Server Management Studio (stored procedure profiling), Memcached, Quickbooks, Manufacturing and Production Scheduling (FMCG), Manufacturing and Logistics (electronics business), External Relationships(suppliers, clients, third party contractors), Radars, Lasers, Fibre-optics, Physics, Robotics, Sales Forecasting|
- Please do peruse below here for more details, or give me a call (021-0269-6216) to discuss any specifics.
Intermediate Test Engineer - Fiserv (Jan 2017 - Current)
- QA member of agile teams delivering changes to a range of mobile banking solutions. The banking domain is very strict and focused on security and testing is particularly important. The products revolve about providing mobile apps for banks, but the system also encompasses multi-tier web and API servers, admin portals for end users, bank administrators and Fiserv support staff. The system interfaces with multiple types of core online banking systems, as well as a range of third party systems supporting additional features. The business model provides solutions to a large number financial institutions with varying levels of customisation of the applications, features, and branding. All up it's a pretty complicated product and the testing is difficult and challenging. In my tenure so far with Fiserv I have had the opportunity to learn about
- Mobile functional testing
- Accessibility testing
- Soap UI
- Version One
- Microsoft Test Manager
Contracting - Engel Consulting (Sep 2016 - Dec 2016)
- Helping Kim Engel with some smaller projects, whilst hunting for my next big career challenge. see more...
Senior Software Test Analyst – Trade Me (Dec 2014 - Aug 2016)
|2016 Trade Me Motors - Jason Cullum |
|2016 Mike Berry - Delivery Mgr|
- Part of small squad (cross functional agile team) testing software changes to the iconic NZ Trade Me website (Motors Group) covering
- context driven, tool assisted exploratory testing, using session and thread based techniques
- testing DB, UI, API, and architecture changes
- leading the deployment of changes using Trade Me's continuous integration and continuous delivery processes
- agile methods and squad mastering
- test automation for API (Ready!API/SoapUI) and UI changes (tractor/protractor) using BDD with Gherkin syntax.
- test planning and peer test reviews
- visual test tools (eg mindmaps for test planning and video capture of test sessions etc)
- Jira for test plans, managing test sessions, and defect work flow. Confluence wiki for test practice documentation.
- active contributor to test and agile guilds
- new staff induction and junior staff support
- see more...
Software Tester – LeasePlan NZ (Apr 2013 - Dec 2014)
- Full time testing contractor to the IS department, testing a variety of bespoke applications primarily for internal use.
- Complex quotation app for car leasing built in MS-Access
- Online driver FBT data collection portal (UI, web security, data flows, emailing)
- Character based legacy (AS-400) system testing
- Developed a test automation framework for above character based system.
- At LPNZ I was introduced to testing as a proper profession by my friend Christina Linwood. I attended the NZ Tester Magazine conference, and went to a full day workshop on Risk Based Testing by Matt Mansell. It was exhilarating to learn from people passionate about testing.
- 2016 Trade Me Motors - Jason Cullum - Reference - Annual Performance Review
- 2016 Trade Me Motors - Mike Berry
- 2009 Monitor Business Machines - Mike Ogram
- 2004 Bioengineering Institute (University of Auckland) - Simon Malpas
- 2001 Monitor Business Machines - Mike Ogram
- 1996 Carter Holt Harvey Tissue Group - Kerrin Thomson
- SKC3.16 Saint Kentigern College Code Camp 2016 - Spent a weekend helping year 7-10 students learn about Agile and a bit of coding with their robots.
- Eastern Suburbs AFC –Junior Girls Co-ordinator (2011-2014)
- Glendowie Boating Club - Arrow Class Convenor (2011-2015)
- MOTAT Tramways Volunteer Conductor (2012-2014)
- Eastern Suburbs Montessori Primary School - PTA (2011-2012)
Continuing Professional Development
- Since starting as a tester in 2013 I have been a keen attendee at many meetups, conferences, courses and meetings. These have been instrumental in helping me learn more as well as developing a good network of fellow test professionals in Auckland, New Zealand, and global test communities.
- Microsoft Azure Discovery Day - 5-Dec-2016
- Start Up Weekend - Auckland - 2016 Team: Grow My Food
- WeTest 2016 Annual Conference - Influence & Inspire (Testing) (Program etc.)
- Jafac Just another ... agile conference (Agile)
- Critical Thinking by Michael Bolton (1 day course)
- Visual Modelling by Adam Howard (Trade Me internal training)
- WeTest 2015 annual conference
- Rapid Software Testing by James Bach (was awarded the coveted James Bach star) (3 day course)
- NZ Tester Magazine conference 2014 (2 day)
- Risk Based Testing by Matt Mansell (1 day workshop)
- 1993 ME (Elec) University of Auckland
- Researching Laser Physics and Fibre Optics.
- Courses in Digital Signal Processing and Digital Image Processing.
- Telecom NZ Scholarship in Telecommunications Engineering ($10,000).
- 1991 BE (Elec) Hons. University of Auckland===
- Specialising in Telecommunications Engineering covering Radio Systems, Microwave and Optical Engineering, Signal Processing, Communication Systems, and micro-processors.
- Final Year Project implemented a software model of the human vocal cords.
- Direct entry to first professional year of BE (Elec)
- 1988 Secondary School Dux Litterarum. Rutherford High School
- Subjects Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Calculus, Statistics, (English, Accounting, Economics, Geography)
- WeTest Auckland - 30-Nov-2017- What should testers know about A/B Testing? (also see blog for a copy of the slides)
- Whiteboard Session - Automation Checks that find bugs now and into the future An Automated Testing Auckland presentation (also see blog Exploratory Automation - Using dynamic data in automation)
- Metrics Driven Development and the analysis of AB Testing data. An interactive session at Gather 2016
- Three agile testing lessons I learned at Trade Me An Agile Auckland presentation
Blogs & Slides
What I'm reading...watching...listening
- Regular Podcasts & publications
- TestTalks by Joe Colantonio (link TBD)
- Testing Trapeze (link TBD)
- in progress or on the to do list
- Selenium WebDriver, From Foundations To Framework, by Alex Collins and Yujun Liang (Book Selenium Automation)
- The Mom Test, by Rob Fitzpatrick, How to talk to customers and learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you. (Book, Lean Startups)
- The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable. by Nassim Nicholas Taleb (Book)
- Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach. by Cem Kaner, James Bach, Bret Pettichord (Book, Testing)
- Opening Keynote Session with Dr. Joseph Sirosh: Azure - the Cloud Supercomputer for AI
- Selenium WebDriver : Difference Between findElement and findElements with example
- Cucumber with Selenium (Automation, series of videos)
- Nov 2016
- Social Lean Canvas a tool to help social entrepreneurs apply the rigours of Lean Startup to ventures that have social or environmental goals
- Oct 2016
- The future of quality is easy with EaaSy and Minimum Viable Quality blog by R.K.Johnston (Agile Testing)
- Functional Automated Testing Best Practices with Selenium WebDriver by Ben Burton (Video, Testing, Automation)
- The Joel Test: 12 Steps to Better Code by Joel Spolsky (Blog)
- Parkinson's law of triviality (aka Bike-shedding) (Wikipedia)
- You are not where you think you are - GPS Spoofing How to by David Robinson/Karit (@nzkarit) – ZX Security, Unrestcon 2016
- Heuristic Testng Dice (Testing)
- Uncle Bob Martin: The Agile Manifesto, 15 years later (Agile)
- 4 essential body language tips from a world champion public speaker (Presenting)
- Testing Trapeze Magazine - October 2016 (Testing)
- Hand Signals at meetings to reduce interruptions (Agile)
New things I'm learning and trying out
- Dec 2016
- I am starting on Katrina Clokie's Mobile Testing Pathway
- Nov 2016
- I did a W3C tutorial on XPATH. I'll give it a go next time I write some web automation scripts.
- Made a Protractor and node.js automation suite for Crimson Login Page
- Made a Selenium automation suite for www.provokesolutions.com
- Oct 2016
- Selenium - setting it up on my mac with Maven. Exploring it with ole.saintkentigern.com.
- Bootstrap - writing a static page showing 10 iFrames to show on a mobile - no joy so far
- HTML - showing 10 iFrames side by side horizontally, one for each subject my son has at school.
- Sep 2016
- WikiMedia - using the wikipedia engine to set up this cvwiki and other wiki's